Monday, February 4, 2008

The Commencement of the Adventure

Since I left Cameroon on September 3, there hasn't been a single day I haven't thought about it. I've been forming ideas for how to fundraise, do artwork to create awareness and gather donations, signed up for Barbara Sher's WriteSpeak workshop so I can communicate more effectively on behalf of the beloved primates. And January 25 through 28 I attended an international Gorilla Workshop at Animal Kingdom in Orlando where I got the privilege of meeting to top people in the world - the ones on the front line - fighting the good fight to save gorillas from extinction. It was amazing, and I hadn't realized how much I'd picked up by osmosis from my 3 months hearing and observing Rachel Hogan's strong, quiet guidance at CWAF.
We've been corresponding frequently and she reports to me about my monkeys I raised - Yoda, Maasai and Jimmy Jimmy. Practically every time, she asks me when I'm coming back.

This morning, reading yesterday's email from her, it landed on me differently. It occurred to me that in addition to being very useful to her while here, spreading the word about CWAF and orphaned primates and the bushmeat crisis, I could be really valuable to her there. I want nothing more in the world than to help her and her mission. And being there, I could be helping, give her some back-up ("I've got your back!"), see my "children", help with construction projects and general improvements, and I could paint my portraits. Of course I could see my monkeys and meet more, and observe the beloved gorillas. It suddenly flooded into me. I could also implement some of the community projects like I just heard about at the Gorilla Workshop, like building small ovens out of local material, which cost about $3 each, and reduce wood consumption by 75%. (It is the wood consumption that partially increases the demand for wood, which denude the forests, which creates gorilla orphans). Rachel doesn't ask things lightly.... and it is no light matter that one of the heads of my company just donated airmiles for me to return to Cameroon.

I called to tell my mom. It was 5 a.m. her time. After I prattled on about the concept, she said she was not surprised and she'd already figured that out. I had written my "ideal job description" on October 8, 2006, before I knew about CWAF. Last summer, 2007, I LIVED my ideal job (except for the salary). Every single thing on the list - I got to do. I am converted completely to the power of the written word.

I told my dear friend Maggie. She said it sounded like a calling. It is.

My head is chock full of ideas. I called my friend Keith to have lunch, so he could consult with me on renting and selling my condo. He said he can find people to rent and to buy (and that if they buy, I can save the 5% commission!). Even before I discovered CWAF, I determined I don't wish to live alone anymore.

This evening I called Susan of The Gorilla Foundation to tell her my idea. I'm setting up meetings with 2 nonprofits to discuss support of CWAF. And I'm wondering if I can gather donations before my journey to raise money for some living expenses.

I will sell my car.

Finally, upon my return, I am evaluating who I can stay with: Phyllis and Steve in North Carolina, Keith and Laura and family in CT, brother Jeff in Oregon, Barbara's place in the Catskills, a house together with friend Karen, possibly in North Carolina.

This is scary. This is the next step in my life. But there is no doubt in my mind that it is about primates.

Let the games begin!