Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Scary

Today's overpowering emotion is thinking about being away for so long...

Had a great uplifting coversation with Susan from The Gorilla Foundation about all the possibilities, and reminding myself of how powerful a calling it is when I think of the gorillas and their innocence. I recently watched "Snowflake the White Gorilla" about a unique albino gorilla who lived out most of its life at the zoo in Barcelona. What we haven't known about gorillas, and the tragic lives the gorillas have had to go through during our humans' desire to hold them captive, is agonizing to watch.

Susan and I talked about lots of possible projects to help the local communities. I'll be seeking grants for these. And I need to spend time during the next few months to check on other opportunities while I am in Cameroon.

After that, a friend reported back to me on findings about technology. It seems like I may indeed be able to make the first Internet transmission of email (and possibly Webcam!) from the sanctuary.

This morning my Israeli photographer Guy Evron gave me permission to publish a book containing his photographs on Yoda. Something like "My Monkey and Me." It needs to be a STRONG environmental / conservation message. Like the only reason I was in her life was to help her survive and thrive with other monkeys - what a privilege it was, and how rare. And how we are not supposed to be in their lives at all....but it is because of humans that we humans have to intervene - for a moment. Still in the works.

Last night my financial planner and I spoke for half an hour about the strategies for my "leap off the bridge." My friends Phyllis and Steve in North Carolina await my cat's arrival, followed by mine. These friends are golden. They've watned me to live with them for the last 8 years. It may finally come true.

I also need to research cheap air fares to see if it's feasible for me to attend the PASA managers conference in Sierra Leone in April. Rachel wouldn't have suggested it to me if she didn't think it was important. Rachel doesn't mention anything lightly. I feel honored that she even mentioned it. My friends from Dakar, and Susan, have given me leads on researching air fares. I think this is an important step.

Researching hunting boots.