Sunday, March 2, 2008

An "Owen Meany" experience

Years ago, I read John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany." I have been haunted and moved by that story for a long, long time. It is about a boy who has numerous odd, quirky physical and behavioural traits that no one can understand. His mother and best friend are his only real social group. Owen is extremely short for his age, has a loud, off-putting, high-pitched voice, he's always trying to see how long he can hold his breath underwater, always trying to make baskets at the hoop, and is fascinated by the date of his death. Throughout the book it is almost painful to see him go through life. In the last 2 pages there is an incident in which every one of his quirks becomes of great value, and because of them, he ends up saving a lot of lives.

Sometimes I think of my summer at CWAF in a similar way. All the quirky odd activities, hobbies and paassions I acquired over my lifetime came to bear during that time in Cameroon. Everything from shiatsu to animal massage to cooking and gardening, interior design, art, public touring, Excel, animal care, writing and documenting, adventure travel, fundraising, camping, sewing, French, I had a chance to do it all! There has never been a time or place where I've felt so fulfilled and alive.