Sunday, April 1, 2007

Jane Goodall and Dale Peterson

I'm doing my research for my trip, with a reading list supplied by CWAF. My current read is a book called "Eating Apes" by Dale Peterson, with photos by Karl Ammann. Dale just completed a biography of Jane Goodall; I just got to meet both of them at their book-signing last month at the National Arts Club. They were superb.

Jane spoke of one of her favorite fables. All the birds were competing to see who could fly the highest. The eagle was clearly winning. Just when the eagle would be declared the winner and was tiring, a tiny jenny wren who'd been riding on the back of the the eagle flew higher and won the day. Jane said she thinks of the people who have helped her in her life and career, as the feathers on the wings of the eagle, and thanked them all.